Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Playing catch-up/Recent work

Maneki Neko (Beckoning Cat) is a common Japanese figurine which is often believed to bring good luck to the owner. Since the Edo period (1603-1868) a cat is depicted with a paw upraised in the Japanese gesture of beckoning, drawing good fortune to individuals and businesses. 



It's been over five months since my last post but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy. Despite a family crisis, I have managed to keep working although I wish I could have been more productive. Any potter might agree that until your pieces have been through the multiple firings, you can't measure your success. I did some experimenting with new glazes and clay bodies and saw both failure and success.

I have been recalling and researching some of my Japanese heritage and letting it reflect the direction and themes of some of my recent work. Ceramic animals as sculpture and as functional pieces will continue to intrigue me. This past summer I have worked mostly in stoneware, rather than porcelain, for both wood-fired and electric-fired pieces. During this time, I was able to participate in two wood firings at the Manabigama Pottery Center in Bowling Green, Ohio. Pleased with the outcomes and responses through sales of the wood-fired work, this encourages me to continue this avenue of working.

There are many things Japanese that are symbolic and thought to bring good luck. These are focus of some of the things I am creating. It is also my hope that my Japanese-inspired work that I sell at the Museum Store will complement the upcoming Japanese art prints exhibit coming this fall at the the Toledo Museum.


Latest work was unloaded from the Manabigama kiln last week.


I commissioned John Thies to make this two magnificent
pots on which I added the surface details.
The pots were salt-fired in a wood kin.

1 comment:

  1. You're doing cats!!!! I love them. That is so cool with your Japanese heritage Cheryl. If you ever need any models, I've got 5 you can use. LOL!

    ReplyDelete